Tuesday, 3 July 2007

Underdevelopment in the Developed World?

Today I was finally able to call my family after spending days trying to get to use the only phone here that is shared by about 100 people, with the phone card I had to travel 25 minutes (each way) to buy. Unfortunately, my family, in the "developed" United States, was using dial-up Internet(a severely antiquated technology) so I was unable to talk to them. Now, I am emailing them from a tiny Costa Rican town that doesn't even have paved roads, but yet manages to have faster Internet that DOESN'T use the phone line, than my house in the so called "first world." Being so frustrated by this situation, I now cannot focus on reading for my class.

Parents, please rectify this situation so that your lack of development in the "first world" does not create a lack of fun here in the "third world." Friends and family, please encourage my parents to join us in the path towards progress and development that we so love in the United States.

3 comments:

Kat said...

While I hadn't given this much thought before, you are finding out about communication for much of the world. Most people don't have cell phones, internet access or even land lines.

When I was a teenager, we rarely called long distance because it was too expensive. We wrote letters, which took awhile to arrive and for the recipient to respond to. Living abroad meant having a difficult time communicating with home, even in Europe. Since my family lived in Canada, it was a rare treat to talk to them by phone. I imagine my mother felt very lonely at times because of the difficulty time communicating.

You have given me some insight for a story I am working on about African refugees in Georgia. I wonder how isolated they must feel from their family and friends back home.

Mama

Anonymous said...

Dear Cason Family:

Please listen to your daughter.

I am so technology challenged that I cannot even figure out how to post to Lily's blog using my name and long ago discarded dial-up internet!

Kathy Hoard

Anonymous said...

For all the world, the Cason family now has DSL.